Thursday, March 19, 2009

how to 'maximize' your presence on twitter

Since joining Twitter a couple of weeks ago (which was essentially a trial to see what exactly the site was all about), I've come across countless functions and features that I've had to figure out how to use. But one question has bothered me on more than one occasion - how are some people/brands/companies following so many damn people?! (for example, has AdAge actually gone through and added 5,088 people?)

But now I think I have a possible answer...SocialToo.com. It's a piece of software with the capabilities of automatically following everyone that follows you, or even producing surveys that are distributed to your Twitter network. Personally, my first impression of this 'tool' is that it signifies an advanced case of laziness, but after pondering it for awhile I've come to realize there could be great value in it for the VP Social Media.

Even though the goal of Twitter is to be quick, easy, and informative the truth is that to have a well populated profile with a variety of sources it takes a serious time investment to get it started. By automating some of this searching and following, SocialToo.com and other tools can leave more time for the more important things in life...such as Facebook . Perhaps most importantly is the informational benefit that this tool encompasses. By becoming mutual followers, a brand or company gains potentially powerful demographic information as well as consumer preferences, etc. (although it could take awhile if they were to analyze every profile they follow). Even if the marketing department doesn't consider it for consumer info, the fact that the relationship seems to have become mutual definitely helps in that the consumer feels important - maybe Company X is actually reading my annoying hourly tweets? A great example of this is one of my followers, ClickZ - a social media news site. I've been following them for sometime now but this morning I received an email that they had begun following me too! I realize this may mean absolutely nothing, but the fact that they added me (automatically or not) instantly made me feel appreciated.

So this begs the question...what does the future of the Twitter relationship entail for consumers and companies alike?

No comments:

Post a Comment